Register | Login

Mautofied Community

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: bmw swap??
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:05 pm 

anyone know of any good motors that would swap into a 95 bmw 318i without having to completly redo the engine bay? i have a 318i two door convertable that the motor is messed up on but the original bmw motor wasnt really that quick anyhow and they want an arm and a leg for one. so just wondering if anyone has swapped a bmw with something else faster before any infor would be appreciated. thanx guys :D itd be bad if i could get a honda b series in there!!

Post subject: Re: bmw swap??
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

All German cars are a different breed. If you can't spend "an arm and a leg" for a replacement, or a rebuild/repair, then I do not think you can afford to swap. Where are you pricing a replacement? Seems that finding a wrecked donor would be a good bet.
Atleast if you were to rebuild/repair your current engine, perhaps you could find a few ways to boost the output along the way, while possibly staying under the price of another stock engine. It just takes tools, time, and some knowhow, and the net is full of that. GL.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:21 pm 

M42B18 DOHC is popular. The other is the M50B20 or the M52..Depends on how much money you want to spend..I was on bimmerfourms alot back when I had my 328i..Alot of good info on there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:22 am 

thanx guys ill check out that web site.. and ive just been googling and clicking on whatever came up for a stock replacement engine.. ive never worked on a beamer before and i didnt relize how expensive even the older modles were to get worked on since i have no know how what so ever, i thougt about the swap because i realized that the market for proformance parts is also alot smaller, and when u do fins something u run into the arm and a leg prices again lol. like it was 2500 to replace the soft convertable top on it and it had to be orderd from germany :|

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:26 pm 

Yea..Your better off buying and making payments on an M3 than trying to fix/modify any BMW..Unless you can pick up a parts car for cheap from someone on ciragslist who dosnt know/care to know anything about them...Lexus is the same way..a window regualator for an SC400..$250 :o.. crank/water temp Sensors $100+ each :evil: ..I learned my lesson quick

Ill stick with my cheap ass Hondas..haha :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:29 pm 

heck yea i love all honda products way better!!! know anyone wantin a 95 318i that dont run lol :!: :!: :) trade for honda civic or hatch :?: :?: :P

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]