Register | Login

Mautofied Community

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 14 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: WARNING!!!!! NEW SCAM PLEASE READ IMMEDIATELY
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:38 pm 

Just wanted to warn everybody about a scam someone tried to pull on me today. The guy running the scam goes by the name of "steve" on the phone but his screen name is Towman2277. it is kinda complex but I will try to be clear in how this works and how I figured it out.

I offered my vehicle to leeclements21 for trade on his jeep. Lee said he was not interested but to look in his offers and I would find a kiaser with rockwells under it and if I could get that guy to trade for my vehicle then he (lee)would give me his jeep and $3000 for my vehicle. Shortly after that Towman2277 (who owns the Kaiser) sent me an offer also and said that he wanted my vehicle. Lee sent me a cell phone number but supposedly is offshore working on an oil rig off the coast of LA/Texas therefore he has no service. I told lee I would drive to where he is and trade with him and then he could trade withTowman but the timelines just would not work out. every time I tried to make it happen where I got lees jeep first something would change and make it where I was meeting Towman2277 first. Both parties were in a huge rush to get this deal done the whole time. When I first talk to lee he said he would be home on tuesday but that changed when I said I would just have to wait until tuesday to meet. I even offered Towman2277 $1500 to drive up here so that we could all meet at the same time which he agreed but then Mysteriously lee was not able to get home on tuesday and his brother would have to handle the transaction but he didnt get off work until 5 oclock pm but Towman2277 said he had to be here and gone by 2pm so that he could get back home before dark. This is where I figured out what was going on and contacted mautofied and the ABI. Mautofied confirmed that Lee and Towman2277 were using the same computer and IP address.

What he was trying to do is get me to trade for the Kaiser in hopes of trading it for the jeep and $3000 but once he traded with me then lee would dissapear or would change his mind. Illegal...no...immoral...YES. I can only imagine how many kids hes probably run this on that have no clue.

Here are the things that tipped me off
1. picture of the vehicle lee had was taken at a car lot and had the price tag on the window.
2. lee was from montgomery alabama but his cell number was from mobile which was where Towman2277 was from and has the same area code.
3. RUSH RUSH RUSH was definitely a red flag when there really was no obvious reason for it.
4. Lack of phone communication with lee.
5. Towman2277 was willing to wait on lee to pay him his $1500 at a later date since lee couldnt meet when Towman2277 could.
6. Neither one could meet at the same time under any circumstance.
7. Contacted Mautofied and confirmed that both individuals had the same IP address.

So watch out when making trades when there is a 3rd party involved and if things seem a little suspicious always investigate it so that you dont get taken.

Post subject: Re: WARNING!!!!! NEW SCAM PLEASE READ IMMEDIATELY
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:00 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

Glad you didnt get Taken on the deal. Hope Mautofied Locked both of the Accounts so that nobody else will get scammed from this guy. Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:11 pm 

Summit wrote:
Glad you didnt get Taken on the deal. Hope Mautofied Locked both of the Accounts so that nobody else will get scammed from this guy. Thanks for the info!

They have already cancelled his ads and blocked his IP. They said he had been talking to other people and suggested I come on the forum and try to warn everybody.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:34 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

Who's the "ABI" ???

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:43 pm 

been doing a little research on steve and found this and a few other things
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/3743 ... young.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Those members did indeed have the same IP address as well as another username of landonwils. All 3 accounts are now locked, blocked, and banned. Which Admin helped you with this issue?

Patrick@Mautofied.com
Site Administrator
Mautofied Inc.
(714) 982-2051

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pat,

I helped him with this issue. This dude thought he really had everyone going.

-Marshall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:37 pm 
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

people like that need to be shot... just my .02

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:44 pm 

Yep, Marshall was a great help. I wonder if he ever got anybody with that scam?
bcaughhorn...I agree. I just hope didn't dupe some unsuspecting kid out of their ride.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:47 pm 

I just notice that leeclements21 posted a scammer alert on someone else...lol

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 14 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next