Register | Login

Mautofied Community

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: 4Runner for Sierra.. This a Good Deal??
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:00 pm 

Hey guys, I'm considering trading my 03 Toyota 4Runner for a 2000 GMC Sierra.

Here are the specs of each vehicle..
4Runner: Adjustable front suspension, springs in the back (4" at the moment), 33" tires with at least 75% tread, sound system with 2 12" Kenwoods and a pioneer headunit, 126k miles. Rear wheel drive with traction control

Sierra: 6" Lift, 35" tires with good tread, 18" Rockstar XD series wheels, dual straight pipes, cold air intake, mp3 headunit, nice fender flares, HID headlights, bed liner, tool box, 146k miles. 4x4 works

Is this an even trade? If not, who is getting the better deal?

Just trying to get some reliable feedback before I make the deal. Both trucks blue book at $9,000 (I was shocked when I saw this, as my 4Runner must have recently dropped dramatically according to kbb). The dude with the sierra is asking $15,000 obo, I'm asking $12,500 obo if that helps.

Attachments:
sierra.jpg
sierra.jpg [ 47.37 KiB | Viewed 2554 times ]
f7f882f7.jpg
f7f882f7.jpg [ 162.32 KiB | Viewed 2554 times ]

Post subject: Re: 4Runner for Sierra.. This a Good Deal??
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:32 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

He would be getting the best deal considering that the Chevy will depreciate MUCH faster then the Toyota. Gas mileage is comparable but the Toyota will always get better. Probably one reason for his sale. KBB is not the best place to compare (by itself). Also look them both up on NADA and see the difference.
I have seen where dealers will take Toyotas in trade quite easily and willingly due to the simple fact that they KNOW they can move them off the lot quick for a good profit with financing.
I would also recommend looking for similar vehicles on sale elsewhere to judge both asking prices. I do not see why you could not be asking more for yours, and with his being as old as it is, why he thinks his is worth what he is asking. We all know about the price advantage (or disadvantage) that modifications can do for a vehicles price, and both seem to be comparable from that aspect, so I would not even go into comparing money invested.
If his was a diesel, then I could see where his asking price would fit in, simply because of the demand for diesels right now (both for economy/power, and trends).
Remember, check around online to see what these vehicles are actually going for, and see what kind of range you come up with. There is more of a desire right now for reliability and efficiency, which your Runner has.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:56 pm 
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

i would much rather have the 4runner :D , just for the simple fact that import last longer, sell better, trade-in value. and ive had the same truck as a tow pig before and it was like i was fixing something every 2 weeks and i got sick of it and got a nissan titan, and that truck is a beast and has never let me down

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

4runner all the way. That 4runner looks a lot better than that gmc/chevy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:39 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

In case you are just looking to get a 4wd (maybe the reason in part why you're selling the Runner. I don't know.) but if this is the case, you may be better off getting a Toyota 4wd, whether it be a slightly older Runner, or truck. You might also notice that if you compare the Tundra to the Chevy from a value standpoint, they hold their value better than the Domestic trucks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:45 am 

Thanks for all the replies. I'm currently considering a 90s model Toyota pickup. I'm going to college next semester and I'm gonna need something I can haul stuff with. I also would love a 4wd (yes, this is the primary reason for me selling my 4runner.) I am going to look at this '94 yota pickup on Friday, and I'd love to own it if it runs like the owner says and looks like the pics from the internet. It seems like it'd fit my needs way better, but I like the sierra's looks better. This yota has 38"s and a 9 inch suspension lift and a 3" body lift. Like 50k miles on new engine (the famous 3.0 22re) solid transmission, axle swaps and 4:56 gears. It looks like a great option.

However, I thought, for the right deal, I could trade for that Sierra and kill two birds with one stone since I'll be selling the 4runner anyways. The extra money could always go into the bank, if I buy this yota, which seems like a more reasonable decision as a full-time student.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]