Register | Login

Mautofied Community

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 22 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Need Out of State Trade/Buying info
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:36 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

Can someone tell me what to do if I Buy or Trade with someone out of State? I am in Ohio, and if I purchase something out of State, Do I get the Title to whatever I am Buying just Notarized to me, or do I get it completely Recorded in my Name before leaving the State that I purchase it in? Then, after I get it home, do I just go get it Inspected, then have an Ohio Title made? Any info on this would be much appreciated. :?:

Post subject: Re: Need Out of State Trade/Buying info
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:45 pm 
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Never bought in Ohio, but heres what you do in Florida.

Have the title notorized with both parties signing it and the title fully filled out. Not all states have a spot for notorization nor do they require that the title be notorized. But if there is a place for it to be done on the title then have it done.

Also make sure you get a Bill of Sale with both of you signing it, good idea to have it notorized also at the same time as the title, in Florida its not required to be notorized. I always do.

Take the paperwork (Title, Bill of sale, proof of insurance, The tag you plan to transfer to the vehicle if you already have one) and the vehicle to your local DMV for them to inspect and complete the transfer of the title, tag and registration.

Thats it you are done

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:19 pm 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

simonmcnasty wrote:

Have the title notorized with both parties signing it and the title fully filled out. Not all states have a spot for notorization nor do they require that the title be notorized. But if there is a place for it to be done on the title then have it done.

Also make sure you get a Bill of Sale with both of you signing it, good idea to have it notorized also at the same time as the title, in Florida its not required to be notorized. I always do.

Take the paperwork (Title, Bill of sale, proof of insurance, The tag you plan to transfer to the vehicle if you already have one) and the vehicle to your local DMV for them to inspect and complete the transfer of the title, tag and registration.

Thats it you are done

Good advice.

Thank goodness i live in SC we dont have inspection or notorization laws anymore. You could always call your local dmv too they can tell you what you need in your state but that sounds like pretty sound advice to me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:57 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

Thanks for the info. I think it will help more then just myself out. Really appreciate the help you get here on Mautofied.com. I am already taking this place as my Home away from Home, lol. 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:59 pm 
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Summit wrote:
Thanks for the info. I think it will help more then just myself out. Really appreciate the help you get here on Mautofied.com. I am already taking this place as my Home away from Home, lol. 8-)

Not a problem, Hope it works out for you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:11 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

I would definitely Google the states laws and your own before doing anything though.
Oklahoma doesn't inspect their vehicles and Missouri does. I didn't know it when I bought this bagged Mazda from Oklahoma and I couldn't get it licensed due to the fact the frame was cut and no one inspected it. So in order for me to get it licensed I would have to have highway patrol inspect it which they wouldn't due to it being cut on.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:13 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

simonmcnasty wrote:

Thats it you are done

But in Missouri thats how they pretty much do it....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lol.... In Mississippi. You take the title, with the back of signed by the buyer and seller (no notary), to the DMV. You dont even need the car with you. You can ride a bike up there for all they care. Nor a bill of sale, nor proof of insurance. Just the title. They take it, press a few keys, have you pay some taxes. Give you a tag for the car and a slip of paper and tell you the title will come back in the mail in 5-7 weeks. Pretty simple system here.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:13 pm 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Redirwol1 wrote:
Lol.... In Mississippi. You take the title, with the back of signed by the buyer and seller (no notary), to the DMV. You dont even need the car with you. You can ride a bike up there for all they care. Nor a bill of sale, nor proof of insurance. Just the title. They take it, press a few keys, have you pay some taxes. Give you a tag for the car and a slip of paper and tell you the title will come back in the mail in 5-7 weeks. Pretty simple system here.

Same system here actually... except we can have the title printed right there for an additional fee.

Last edited by TwiztedAnimator on Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:17 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

In IOWA you take the title with signatures of buyer and seller on the back no car no notary no anything just the title pay the taxes on whatever amount you put on the back that you paid for the car, for a trade you pay no taxes just the transfer fee and they give you your plates and a title right there!!!!

Plus i have taken a car from Ohio with a salvage title put it in my name in Iowa and got a clean Iowa title on the car...

I LOVE IOWA :D

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 22 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next