Register | Login

Mautofied Community

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 14 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: where do people get these car process from?!?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:40 pm 

Can someone PLEASE tell me where some people here get prices like $16,500 for a 2000 s2k with 100k miles some body damage and light mods? Or the typical 10k civic with a sohc turbo kit? Common I just want to better understand so I dont get offended when I get offered one then get asked for cash on top... :?:

Post subject: Re: where do people get these car process from?!?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:09 pm 

with the asking price of $1 your asking for offers like this. Yeah its stupid but people will offer whatever without a base price to work off of.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:44 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

cloaiza506 wrote:
Can someone PLEASE tell me where some people here get prices like $16,500 for a 2000 s2k with 100k miles some body damage and light mods?... :?:

THIN AIR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:43 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

Quit complaining. :?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:37 am 

Which part of it seems like a complaint to you? Like I said previously I want to better understand. I personally dont care. Your car your problem idc if youre stuck with it 6yrs trying to sell or trade it. I know everyone is exposed to the offers and thats fine but now a days there are kbb and nada to base your prices off of. I just wonder because when I get such offers if I ask the person why the 16k price or trade value on a 10k car noone answers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:02 am 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

yotaforce wrote:
Quit complaining. :?

X2 :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:57 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

Welcome to Mautofied. The place where (in the beginning anyways) people bought, sold, and traded "modified" and custom vehicles. KBB and NADA do not give any value to custom vehicles, so it was always a guessing game when it came down to putting a value on the vehicle, mods, and labor that went into building a custom.
Now days, this place is flooded by everything from stock, old, worn out junk, to half a$$ed thrown together junk (that the owner is VERY proud of. Lol), to genuine show vehicles (and a huge mix of garage sale junk from roller blades to bicycles).
Hence, the $1 prices, and the over inflated prices. people really just don't know what the REAL value is.
Custom is a personal preference, and what seems cool to one person, may be junk to another, so there is a big split on opinion on what it's worth.
A deal goes down when person A likes what person B has, and is either able to strike a deal monetarily, or person A has something that person B would rather have (trade).
Sometimes, person A is trying to offload his junk, and in the process, marking it up in hopes to find someone ignorant, or someone who really actually likes his junk.
You do realize there is one of "these" threads about once a week="the complaining part".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:15 pm 

No I didnt, sorry ive been around this website since high school hoping and dreaming one day I could own one of the cars on here but I didnt actually used it until the past couple years(very skeptically), but thanks for your very well ellborated response. The point wasnt to complaint was to better understand the logic behind some/most of the pricing. But I guess in like anything is about people trying to take advantage of others should the opportunity presents itself.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:08 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

I actually hope that alot more people will read this thread and better understand the whole pricing issue. It is true that there are alot of people trying to take advantage of unsuspecting buyers (and their own ignorance) hoping to make a few dishonest bucks, but that's when a buyer should become more educated about what they are looking for or at. You can just as easily be taken advantage of at a new car dealership in the same way.
I have always said that if you are looking at getting a certain kind of vehicle (or anything for that matter), you should first educate yourself as much as possible before making a serious offer. KNOW what it is worth, KNOW what to look for as far as problems, KNOW what the real values of modifications are, and KNOW all of the right questions to ask. NEVER assume what the seller is saying is true (especially in the case of "built" motors), and only rely on things such as receipts, labor bills, or build documentation. Those are things that cannot be easily fraudulent. As in my case, every car or truck I build has EXTENSIVE build documentation, photos, and every receipt, allowing me to be able to verify as much as possible the truth behind the vehicle.
I have been guilty of overpricing vehicles here, but for the same reason as alot of other honest sellers, I know that even with a really nice vehicle, there will be alot of "low-ballers" and people wanting to trade me their 4-wheeler or dirt bike (or just as bad, their bagged S-10. Lol). Whenever a serious buyer would approach me and ask the right questions (proving they have some sense), then I'm always willing to give them a fair market price and willing to negotiate (as any seller should be willing to do if they seriously want to sell). If I ever placed a $1 tag on something, usually it was to "feel" the market and see what kind of price range it fit into before deciding what I SHOULD be able to ask for it. Alot of these other guys have their car on here, not really wanting to sell or trade it at all. They just treat Mautofied like the lottery and hope to score big thinking that some fool will come along and surpass their idea of what they can really get. It's more of a car show to them, bragging if you will. I have seen plenty of nice rides on here with $1, and about 1000 really nice offers, but yet, they keep relisting over and over. Oh well. That's just Mautofied. Not the original, but what it has become.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:34 pm 
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

I couldn't agree more, those of us who have been around since forever when this place was completely different than the place we visit now know that what you are speaking is the truth. Very well put.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 14 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next