Register | Login

Mautofied Community

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Need Advice on CJ5 Purchase
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:03 pm 

Hey everyone. Looking for your advice on the below CJ 5. I'm new to the forum and am looking to purchase a CJ 7 or 5, preferably a 76-86 but am flexible there. I had one as a teenager and am looking to get into a small project jeep that'll be used as a fun ride during the weekends (no off roading outside of small trails during hunting season). I can handle body work myself as well as maintenance but when it comes to mechanical I lack the intelligence. I found the below CJ5 and wondered what your thoughts were (for the price). Any assistance is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance! Oh, if the pics don't work please let me know and I'll email them to you.

1974 CJ5 4x4. Very strong running and recently tuned 232 6cyl. Starts right up, engine runs great. Main frame in good shape. Sub frame and body have rust. Has seats but they're just not installed (removed for pictures of floor). This jeep will also need brake work and tail lights need to be replaced before she is road worthy. Will need to be towed. New battery, distributor, oil change. Only 1 owner titled. Great summer project. Looking to get $950.

Post subject: Re: Need Advice on CJ5 Purchase
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:20 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

If you show up to look at it and it starts right up as they stated in the ad, then it is worth the asking price. Older Jeeps in restorable condition are getting harder to find and some people know this and usually price them higher than what you're looking at. The overall condition is typical for it's age and the fact that it is a Jeep and has probably lived a typical Jeep life. The panels affected by rust are not a real problem because of teh availability of repair panels. The frame would be the only thing you should really check the extent of the rust. Usually you can just peck at it with a small ball peen hammer to see how bad it is and if it's going through anywhere. As far as the brakes, not really an issue either considering the original braking system left some to be desired. Most will replace the entire braking system from top to bottom with a newer system, which again, is widely available. Alot can be done to the Jeep in question, wether restored, or updated, to make for a fun weekend or even daily driver.

Post subject: Re: Need Advice on CJ5 Purchase
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:51 am 

Huge help! Thank you. I'm going to try and make the drive to see it this weekend. Thanks again for your .02!!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]