Register | Login

Mautofied Community

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Bagged Yukon 4x4 shimmy at 60 mph??
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:41 pm 

I wentto testdrive a 05 Yukon 4x4 today. It had a awful shimmy up front. Needless to say I didnt buy it. The salesman said they just got it as a tradein. It rode fine until you hit about 60 mph. I looked under it and the welds all looked good. The bags were on top of the a arms up front. I drove it in 2 wheel drive. Any ideas what it could be. The salesman said they were gonna check the tire balance but I dont think that was what it was. If it is something small I will go back and offer them pennies to take it off their hands.

Post subject: Re: Bagged Yukon 4x4 shimmy at 60 mph??
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:50 pm 

ROATERS BALLJOINTS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:59 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

Could be the tires out of balance, or the front end falling out of it. Check the inner tie rods, have replaced alot of them. Wouldn't be rotors, did it driving not braking. Balljoints is a good wear item as well. Hope it helps

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ON MY COMMAND, UNLEASH HELL !!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:39 pm 

75% of the time ride issues like that are from the tires themselves. The list includes death wobble, hard pulling to one side, a "bouncing/loose" feeling in the suspension at low speed, and also of course when ruts/rough spots in the road literally pull your tires and steering in one direction. A knot will eventually form on the tire thats causing the problem. And that comes from a broken belt within the tire itself. The previous owner in that Youkon probably wacked something at a high rate of speed, like a pothole. Thats my guess anyway. No sense in getting it aligned or anything, the problem wont go away till you replace the tire.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:19 am 

I called the salesman and asked what kinda cash offer they would accept but he said his boss hasnt given him a number. They tires are Toyos and they look pretty good but they could be bad. It is a nice truck though. 05, leather,dvd, sunroof, only 40k miles. They wanted 20k before the awful testdrive. I will offer 10k as is. Death wobble sounds about right!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:10 pm 

Not trying to shit on your game, Sounds legit. Just beware though, The 05 models had a few recalls on it (what car dosnt nowdays though) :roll: . Mainly with the Trans/Fuel system/hydraulic brake linkages and with only 40K on that thing...You wonder if it was ever serviced to fix those issues. Just be sure to ask the dealer (Even though they probably wont know). Hate to see someone drop 10K then end up down shits creek. You can really get something nice for that chuck of change.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:31 pm 

The salesman called me today. They"said" they tried to balance the tires but the place they took it to said the wheels were too big(22s). They want to take $1000 off as is. I told them I was thinking alot more than that and I will get back to them. Meanwhile I am shopping around for a 07 and up Suburban with leather and quad buckets. Anyone want a 04 Avalanche stock with 75k miles before I trade it in?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:45 pm 

i have 22s on my jeep. when i bought them brand new i got them balanced and i had the same problem. they told me that since the wheels were so big (22s) lol i needed load force balanced which can be done for a lil more than a regular balance. i had it done at goodyear tire and ever since then ive had no problems

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]