Register | Login

Mautofied Community

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Dents
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:13 am 

Ok I have a few little dents in my car that I'd like to get out whether I sell it or keep it I want to get them out.  I have a large one in the driver side quarter panel.  I don't know what happened but it is a large dip in it.  It's not creased or anything tho.  I was wondering how much does it usually cost to get all of those taken out or is there a way I can do it myself?  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:32 am 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

if it isnt creased then depending on the people who do it you can get them pulled out for a couple hundred

you want the home made fix go to a grocery store or whatever get a big ass block of dry ice put on a glove and wrap it in a towel if you rub the dent and the area around it and get it cold enough some will pop out not a gurrantte but its free so id try that before i went somewhere

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:40 am 

I won't be able to mess up the paint or anything will I with the dry ice?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:46 am 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

[QUOTE=civicracer18c1]I won't be able to mess up the paint or anything will I with the dry ice? [/QUOTE]

Civicracer...  first off, welcome to the new MAUTOFIED COMMUNITY!  Your avatar was entirely WAY WAY to big.  The size limits on this community is 128 x 128.  It was so large and bothersome, I fixed it for you.  So, in the future, if you change it...keep it to 128 x 128.  Your avatar is also not allowed to promote other sites unless first approved by the staff at Mautofied.  You can find the complete rules and regulation in this following thread:

http://www.mautofied.com/community/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID =35&PN=1

As far as the dry ice method.  The key to that is your metal/paint on the car must be really warm.  Let the car sit in the sun for 8+ hours and the take the dry ice to it.  It should not (I have never had the experience) harm the paint. 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:57 am 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

engima is right let the car get hot and make sure you have the ice wrapped up good and you'll have to switch hand cause even with gloves your hands get cold but in the experice i have with it it hasnt damaged the paint just be sure to not directly touch it with bare skin keep the car warm and use some discretion 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:06 am 

Ok cool sorry for the problems on my avatar I'll pay more attention next time but thanks for fixing it.  I'll try that later today I'll be out all day so I think by the time I come home I'll be ready to try it.  Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:43 am 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

[QUOTE=civicracer18c1]Ok cool sorry for the problems on my avatar I'll pay more attention next time but thanks for fixing it.  I'll try that later today I'll be out all day so I think by the time I come home I'll be ready to try it.  Thanks! [/QUOTE]

not a problem about the avatar! As far as the dry ice method, dont get dicouraged.  It might take several times to "pop" the dent out.  In my experience, sometimes it works, and sometimes it didnt.  It sure is worth the try and $5-10 bucks instead of paying hundreds at a body shop!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:09 am 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

I have also seen people use a can of "keyboard cleaner" (or liquid air). Tip the can upside down, start spraying around the perimeter of the dent working your way inwards (circular pattern). The liquid (difluoroethane) will give your fingers frostbite, so use gloves. The metal freezes and shrinks. I do believe that the result is the same as the dry ice, but without the joy of making dry ice bombs when you are done.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]