Register | Login

Mautofied Community

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Questions on airbrushing & custom paint...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:34 am 

OK, I do alot of custom bodywork & suspensions etc, but I'm not the painter, never have been. I know the basics of say a factory type (1 color) paint job. But I'm needing some info from you gurus.

I'm looking into purchsing a truck that already has a custom 2-tone paint job, but what they did in the middle (where the 2 colors meet) doesnt excite me any. In my head I'm planning to leave the 2 tone how it is (not repainting entire truck) but I'm wanting to have that center where the 2 colors meet airbrushed all around. I'm thinking of something like 6" wide all the way across (think of it as a wall border or armband tattoo lol) with skulls and what-not in it.

Anyways, my question / concern is, can this be done and cleared/blended without having to repaint entire truck? Obviously the truck is cleared right now the way it is, but that center line absolutely has to change for me.

Post subject: Re: Questions on airbrushing & custom paint...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:16 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

You can wet sand the 'panels' that include the areas you wish to paint with 1000, and then when you're done, you'll just have to reclear those entire panel. You can succesfully blend paint, but not clear.

Post subject: Re: Questions on airbrushing & custom paint...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:19 am 

IMO the best thing to do is sand the entire vehicle with 800 and don't sand through to the paint. do your airbrush work where you want and then clear the entire vehicle. beware that you will need to finish within a week upon sanding or you may have problems with chemical bondage between the new and old paint/clear as you may not know the brand or type of paint/clear that was used but if you are wanting to take your time or do this on the side you can midcoat the vehicle then clear it when you are done. i say clear the entire vehicle because like i said you may not know the brand already on it and some "cheaper" brands aren't quite as clear as a top end brand. hope this helps.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]