Register | Login

Mautofied Community

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: 1998 eclipse gs turbo??
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:56 pm 

I have a 98 gs and im trying to find some a turbo kit to add. Most of the kits i find are for 4g63's and not for 420a's. i did find a kit on Fastwayracer.com and i wasnt sure if they were a scam or not. It didnt seem to be so im considering purchasing from them. It came with pretty basic stuff and a t4 or t3 turbo.

The other question i want to ask is were to find an ecu or some sort of software that allows engine control and etc.. but all the sits and products i found were extremely expensive.
If you could help me out id really appretiate it.

Post subject: Re: 1998 eclipse gs turbo??
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:31 pm 

stille6 wrote:
I have a 98 gs and im trying to find some a turbo kit to add. Most of the kits i find are for 4g63's and not for 420a's. i did find a kit on Fastwayracer.com and i wasnt sure if they were a scam or not. It didnt seem to be so im considering purchasing from them. It came with pretty basic stuff and a t4 or t3 turbo.

The other question i want to ask is were to find an ecu or some sort of software that allows engine control and etc.. but all the sits and products i found were extremely expensive.
If you could help me out id really appretiate it.

You'll spend less money if you sell the 420a and buy an already Turbo'd 4g63T. Perferably a 6bolt.

There ARE some 420a equiped 2nd gens that were turbo'd well enough to push over 400HP, however, they are rare, expensive, break down frequently, and are a headache.

What you will need to CORRECTLY turbo a 420a :
Forged Internals - (Pistons, Crank, Rods, etc)
AFPR
Wideband
Reprogrammed ECU - Flashable
Upgraded Fuel System
MLS head Gasket

90% of the 2nd Gens you see that say they are turbo'd get the "Woosh" sound and think they are fast. If you want your car to TRULY be turbo'd, read up on it before buying a "Turbo Kit".

Steal a TD05, modify an exhaust manifold to fit it, and go from there. You won't be wanting to push much more over 8PSI until you get some internal work done along with stronger studs and headwork.

Oh.. and make sure to set up your MAS correctly. If you don't know how to do that, RECIRC, RECIRC, RECIRC the BOV.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:00 am 

thanks

ya im thinking about just buying a wrecked gst or gsx in a junkyard and pulling the parts. or just save to get one.
if i end up keeping my gs ill probably stay with naturally aspirated and get new cams and focus on air flow. ill be getting shipped out for helio training in about two years so im not going to put to much effort.

so altogether its probably going to cost more than its worth unless i get a 4g63 or get a gst/gsx?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:26 pm 

Absolutely.

When the correct setup.. spending less than a few grand.. you'll push MAYBE what a stock GSX/GST pushes off the lot... There's no sense in say..

Buying a GS
Buying the Supporting mods
Buying the Turbo Setup
And pushing what a stock turbo'd DSM pushes, after spending double on the GS..

Keep the GS as a DD, or sell it to some kid and get the cash for a stock GST/GSX

Hell, my GSX is for sale. $2500.

Note : With airflow on that N/T... you wan't MORE compression.. not less. Do NOT get a setup that lowers compression.. and do NOT go with an exhaust larger than 2.5'....otherwise all that backpressure you need is lost.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:00 am 

i disagree completely. turboing a high compression motor is begging for trouble. if you want to shell out the money to turbo your 420, get forged LOW compression pistons, forged rods, arp studs, mls headgasket, forged crank wouldn't hurt. get a good t3/t4 hybrid and start making some power. a real informative and productive site for the 420a base is cimotorsports.net, they also have many parts for the 4g63 if you sell and decide to go that route. i hope i've helped (:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]