Register | Login

Mautofied Community

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Describe JDM & Ricer ?????
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:48 am 

I just love it when KIDS...say that car is so RICEY..Look up what started the scene of imports...As much mods as you can do..do it..Wings, Kits, Paint, ect..When I was a kid all imports were JDM..cause they came from over japan or Asia...
What MOST Kids say is JDM now is,,Wheels, Turbo, Exhaust, Primer, ..Tell me where that is JDM..
JDM is anything not offered in the US on the car..and only offered on a Japanese car
EBAY parts made in china for a Honda is not a JDM part..Its a aftermarket part''There is a diffrence"
People Build cars for their liking..If you like it ..cool...If not keep the critisism to yourself...especially if you dont have a car worthy enough to talk S*@T...
I Have been on the show scene for 12 years and seen every trend, and the only one
staying true is the so called RICEY cars..and they get alot of attention..
Ricey came from their Origin...Not a catagory...if you drive a impory you are really driving a Ricer...
GOT RICE...lol

Post subject: Re: Describe JDM & Ricer ?????
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:53 pm 

Rice = The Fast and Furious days..End of story..Rice wasnt happening in the 80s, As it was one universal scene..Imports.

Like I tell everyone I know..Its the DRIVER not the CAR..The car dosnt customize itself.

JDM Nowdays is basically restoring a Honda/Acura to OEM spec..OR only customizing with JDM parts off of other Hondas/Acuras EX-ITR seats, ITR suspension components, SI interior panels, GSR Blades etc etc etc..Ive yet to have anyone tell me JDM is a primer paintjob and running 10lbs of boost...Most JDM cars are clean, Nothing obnoxious or out of place that makes you say "what the hell is that!?"..People who arnt into it probably wouldnt even reconize a JDM car. They would just see it as a Honda Civic or whatever.

RICE IS A SCENE...Gigantic wings, Huge exhaust cans, Spray painted interior panels, NOS stickers, HIDS..Yes I said it..Its annoying, not cool...Some kind of dumbass phrase across their back window in Old english, BODY KITS, Neon lighting,EBAY SHIT..The list goes on and on...Basically any aftermarket part sold that screams "HEY!!! LOOK AT ME!!..WEEEEEEEE"..I get a good laugh when I do spot one, the people try so hard at it, But they just bring the attention on themsleves for being a narcistic douchebags parading their poor fiancial descions around for all to gander..Ive yet to see a "ricer" actually have anything under the hood/on the car worth taking a second look at. Then again, Its just not my thing at all. To each is own. Im sure their are some insane looking ones that go to shows at Hot Import Nights or something...Just not my thing..Your car, Do you.

Its sad people still try to say "Oh, its all the same thing"...No, Not really. Far from it. Same make and model..Diffrent breed of owner.

But every scene has its own inbreads just like Mini-trucks...The bolt on airbag kit crowd who cant even tell you what a welder is, The built not bought crowd vs the people who cant do ANY work to a vehicle theirselves..The "its not a minitruck unless its tuckin 24"s" crowd etc etc...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:42 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

Well I have been on the show scene and in the business for over 20 years (from old school mini truckin to new school street rods) and it is ALL just a fad that comes and goes.
From hydraulics to air bags. From bowed out 13x7 reverse wheels, to 24's. From wings to wingless. Whatever. Here today, gone tomorrow.
I would not have called any of the cars presented in the movie "F&F" a ricer. They were all professionally built, well styled vehicles that attracted every young and ambitious car enthusiast from coast to coast to go see it. Then there was Tokyo Drift, and afterwords, every one was out in empty parking lots trying to slide around with whatever they had. Like them or hate them, all of those cars were top of the line. Wing or no wing.
I build what sells. I build what people are willing to pay to have built, how they want it. Period. If I discriminated against any kind of car or truck, I may as well shut down the business and go work at an autoparts store.
What one person wants me to do to their car may not be what someone else would do. What some call a ricer, I can call them someone who has ambition and a goal (wether they ever actually "finish" what they started or not). What some say is JDM, I can also say they prefer to blend into the parking lot sea of cars and trucks, and not stand out with any kind of "personality" expressed through their custom car. You could also call them the "safe" crowd. Rather than step out and try to be different, they would rather stay low-profile and not risk suffering any sort of judgement from others.
The last Honda I built (strictly for looks and reliabilty/you know, if it ain't broke don't fix it) has been called "ricer", but what I do know is that when I see it rolling through town, it really looks good, or atleast in my opinion, as good as a four door Civic CAN look. I took off the wing, and the rear of the car was just lacking. Better with it on to break it up a bit and define it from the front. It works.
Now does this mean I expect everyone to like it? Nope.
Do I expect everyone in the world to appreciate the lines of a 1969 Camaro? Nope.

To each his/her own. Whatever works for you, enjoy. I don't have to like it, but as long as you do, it's cool.

By the way, the Honda was built for a woman in her 30's who had always wanted a car that stood out. She loved it. Now she wants a turbo AWD STI. Go figure.

Last edited by yotaforce on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:17 pm 

anything from korea,china or japan is rice,get over it kids

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:39 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

Technically speaking (according to the consensus), I have a "ricer" sitting in the driveway right now. A wing (though low to the panel not roofline high), a conservative exhaust (no fart can), some different tail lights, projector headlights, and a conservative, one of a kind paint job (perfect PPG Deltron Mercedes gunmetal with a subtle black stripe). 15" silver ICW Adrenaline wheels and stock size Yokohamas (going on 3 years with hardly any wear and a great smooth ride). It also sports a 100% stock drivetrain and interior. I purchased my '99 Honda Civic 4dr back in 2000 with only a few thousand miles on it for "family duties" and it has been a great reliable, efficient driver. Now that a few of the kids are getting their own cars, I decided it was time to clean it up and make it look better than the usual silver 4dr Civics without breaking a budget or ruining the reliability record of the car. Can't beat the 35mpg! So what if it is not fast. I have other vehicles for that.
I just followed it back 300 miles and as far as I'm concerned, it looks good! I could care less if anyone wanted to label it "rice" or not. It's clean, shiny, dent and damage free, and as far as a reliable custom, it's the most trouble free car I have ever had. I tried selling it once, but considering how good it has been to my family, we plan to just drive it, and probably pass it on to one of the next kids in line to go off to college.

I understand the whole JDM concept, and I have a 98 Prelude that I have kept stock and clean, with the exception of the actual JDM foglight kit (I actually expected more for a $250 set of lights though). It's a nice car as well, but I have not had it very long so I can't say much to confirm it's reliabilty compared to the little Civic motor. Lol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:58 am 

Well said yotaforce...Ive been waiting a while on someone else to understand...
Thanks.. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:21 pm 
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

JDM : Japanese Domestic Market

Which are vehicles or parts that sold/bought from Japan these are OEM which is basicly CLEAN stock

Rice or Ricer is when you start modifying these car's.. or wanna be F&TF

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]