Register | Login

Mautofied Community

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: body flip my s10
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 pm 

i am trying to flip/raise the whole front end on my 02 s10.i know the basic concept on how it works on a semi but im not sure how to go about doing it to my s10.if anyone knows of a kit that i can buy or build to raise the front end of my ride please let me know...thanks

Attachments:
s10 2.jpg
s10 2.jpg [ 6.32 KiB | Viewed 4358 times ]

Post subject: Re: body flip my s10
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:02 am 

Are you meaning you want a hinged tilt front end?..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Its impossible to do with the stock components of your front end (hood, fenders, lights, grill, bumper, etc. You want it to tilt forward like an 18 wheelers nose then you have to make it like the 18 wheelers nose.. a solid front piece with all attached. You dont see just the hood opening up on an 18 wheeler...thats because the whole front clip is one piece. So you would have to either take all of your body panels off.. find a way to fasten them securely together, then custom make brackets to secure the lights to (since in fact the lights are secured to the header panel which is attached to the radiator support) as well as a custom bracket for the grill. OR make a custom front nose so that the hood and fenders rotate seperately from the grill and headlights, around them, so that the lights and grill stay attached to the header/radiator support. OR you can buy the whole fiberglass front cap (one solid piece). But the down side to that is that its meant for race trucks. There are no places for lights. You would still then have to fab up some type of support for lights. The fiberglass cap should be an easier procedure.

As far as bolt on conversion or a company that makes one, to my knowledge doesnt exist because it just isnt cost effective obviously.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:31 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

A company like Glasstek may make a fiberglass 1 piece front end but not sure if the dimensions are the same since they build for race cars and they may lenghten it. You would still need to fab up everything else. Lots of work for that "80's " look !!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:52 pm 

yes it would be alot of work for the 80s look,but when you go and try to make a one-off mini truck,alot of work is usually what you get into.by welding the hood and fenders together would allow me to raise the front as one piece.im not looking to lift the headlights and grill with the rest.so i wouldn't be needing to move the lights,rad. and so forth. so i guess what im really looking for is how to make the brackets or buy the brackets for the hinges.will the frontend have to slide back and then tilt or would i be able to have it tilt without having to slide it back.on some of the old school sleds the front is needed to slide back before raising it up.and others dont.

if anyone has anymore ideas on how to do this please let me know...thanks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:05 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

Sorry but I'm lost. How is the front end gonna move and not the grill ??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:22 pm 

uuuuummm lets see, you just weld the fenders and hood together and not the core support. do you have any ideas or are you just going to tell me what trouble it would be,just like the guy with the ford probe?im looking for ideas, not how hard it would be and how much trouble it would be

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:37 pm 

Ive heard of people using drawer slides on older Chevys with actuators. Youd probaby want the lift point to be somewhere on/around the core support. I would buy a kit for one of the older Chevys and try to make it work for your application. If not, Find someone who knows how to work with Autocad and make a bracket for what you need.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:25 pm 

thanks Lay Frame 729201
i have seen older rides that they have a bar leading from the firewall to the core support to hold it steady as well as a semi has them.if i cut all of the fender supports out ran the bars or made brackets to hold the core support do you think that a lambo door kit and gas shocks of sorts would be strong enough to hold the fenders up. hell they are made to hold up a boxed 70s chevy doors i would think that if fabed up right the lambo kit would work the same on the dog house in theory.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:24 pm 

I see what your saying. The two most critical things is going to be 1, How much force you will need to push everything upward and secondly the angle of degree.

a gas shock wont work, there wont be enough force to compress it again. I think you meant to say strut. You will need to know the force required and also the stroke you will need for the front end to be at full lock. Same applies for an electric actuator. Ive seen those things offer 40" of stroke and claim to offer 450lbs of force. Of course I think going with the struts would be cheaper.

If your thinking of using the lambo door kit, Make sure you look and see what degree lift its for. Some are for 80 others are 90 or 130. Gullwing hinges can go 180. Goodluck.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next