Register | Login

Mautofied Community

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: body flip my s10
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:35 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

OK, Lambo door hinges would be way overkill and are designed to go 2 ways. You only need to go I way. Simple gate hinges would work. You will have to figure out how to slide it aprox. 6-9' forward before it tilts. I would cut the bottoms of the fenders behind the front wheels and mount them to the car, less chance of fenders hitting doors while tilting. It needs to slide forward so that when it tilts the hood doesnt go into the grill or bumper. Finding the front tilt Buick hood mechanism and then modifying it would be a cheap way to go, cutting most of the bracing would make it easier for one person to do, although too muck cutting and its gonna flex and twist. If you got it to work by hand the next step would be to use a power linear actuator to open and close it. Trial and error .... how's that ??

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:26 am 

WOW
Thats a great idea!
I make custom bikes so im not too skilled on everything with cars BUT
The first thing that came to mind. With a lambo kit the reason the door is able to shut and open is bc the door swings out at and angle upon shuttin or closing... missing the fender and the pillar. However, If you think about it there would be no way for the welded fenders to clear the doors upon opening or shutting bc the fenders are stationary. Correct? (check my pics to make sure im right)
So Three options
Make the whole front end swivel up (semi style)

Flip open to the side

Or scissor hinges
You can find these on the old GMs both my camaro and caddy had them
I was thinking if you welded the hinge to a slideing platfrom then you would be able to stand in front of the truck and pull the hood towards you then you would push down on the over hang, thus lifting the whole front end of in the air (With strut assist of course). That way youll fix the cab clearing problem.

Correct me if you already had it figured it!

Attachments:
gm.jpg
gm.jpg [ 39.14 KiB | Viewed 2523 times ]
Lambo hood.jpg
Lambo hood.jpg [ 43.88 KiB | Viewed 2523 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:08 pm 

Iam not to sure how the grill and headlight mount on a dime. but the first thing Id do is take the hood and fenders off and see what would be required to keep them inplace without the hood/fender. After you got that figured out. Id cut the fender at the same angle at the windshield post to the wheel well, and leave the bottom of the fender on the truck, and flip the rest up corvette style from the rad support. if your wanting to flip with the whole fender. it will have to slid out far enough to clear the bottom of the fenders when it flips.

Id got the the junk yard and look how the old BMW's work

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:43 am 

thanks for everyone's input on how to flip my s10. the thought on how a corvette hood opens never came to mind.i think i will take a closer look at the setup on a vet and go from there

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:38 pm 

hey buddy i seen your post and figured my two cents might help.first off the lambo door hinge and gullwing hinge is not a great idea because the hinges are a two way system out then up and when coming to something that big you dont want it to sway side to side like lambo doors do and with the door hinges the weight will knock them out of line and than it scratches paint.your best bet would be a custom fabbed set of piano style hinges and actuators or struts to hold the front clip straight when moving the clip up and down. as for the kits tho ive never heard of one but you could order the 50 dollar tilt hood kit and copy that design and make it beefier to hold the entire front clip because the disign is the same for what you will need up then over.(up too clear the core support and bumper then over to showcase the motor if you need more info email me at laydkustoms@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:40 am 

My opinion would be to allow the grille, core support and all tilt with the front end, same as a semi does. When tilted forward the only thing left standing is the radiator. Would be much simpler to fab tubular radiator mounts to hold that in place, therefore seperating the radiator and core support.

With the core support now attached to the solid 1 piece front end, you have a much stronger piece to work with. Will equal less overall flex, plus adds extra weight up at the hinges making the lift/tilt lighter and easier to operate.

I'm doing this very same thing to my 2000 Sonoma but mine still comes out a bit more complicated due to the body drop and front bumper being welded up as part of the 1 piece front end. Mine will need to lift up while tilting forward to keep the bumper off the ground when opened.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:44 pm 

can you send me pics of how your setting up your 2000 Sonoma ??

you can send them to eash.2@hotmail.com thanks

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2