Register | Login

Mautofied Community

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: "What's the lowest you'll take?" Lol
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:50 am 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

So today has been a doozy, and I'm on a rant now.

My current subject: "How much does it cost?"

If you go to the grocery store for a gallon of milk, you will have more than a few choices of which milk to buy, and one of your deciding factors will be price.
It's posted clearly on the shelf.
Do you STILL take it up to the register and ask the cashier "What's your bottom dollar?"
If you do, then you are one of the complete idiots that bother me.

I somewhat understand the art of "negotiations" and how someone might take less than their asking price to make the deal. However, as a buyer, I will never "assume" that just because something has a listed price tag of (ex.) $100, that I can buy it from that person for $80. I will "assume" that that person has the price at $100 for a reason. I DO NOT have to understand that reason. It does not matter. What does matter is that if I do not believe that said item is worth $100, I have the freedom to say thanks, and simply walk away. If the seller is willing to lower the price to make the sale, then I;m sure they will TELL ME, either before I walk away, or even later down the line (which is why we communicate, leaving names and numbers, etc... in case things change).
If I have something for sale for $100, you show up, look it over, decide in your mind that you are only willing to pay $80 for it, then I'm sure you may OFFER me $80, at which point I can accept or refuse (with a smile). I can take your name and contact info and if, later on, I should decide that $80 is acceptable, I would contact you with the hopes you might still be interested.
Get it?
I like to do my research before pricing an item for sale. I look around to see what other similar items (or vehicles) are selling for, and then I judge whether or not mine really is worth more or less than the average, and how badly I need to sell it.
When I put price on something, I do not jack it up for "room to wiggle" when it comes time to sell. I price it according to average market value, and my immediate need to sell.
If I wanted to entertain offers from the general public, I would say "make me an offer" and not list a price. If I list a price AND say to make an offer, then I am inviting the public to tell me what they are willing to pay for it.
If someone asks me "What's your bottom dollar?" or "What's the least you would take?". then I'm more than happy to lead the blind back to the price tag.
From now on, I suggest that everytime someone looks at your price tag, and then the words "What's your bottom dollar?" come out of their mouth, punch them in the face for me. They really do deserve it for poor negotiating skills and being a complete cheap a$$ idiot.
Happy independence day;)

Post subject: Re: "What's the lowest you'll take?" Lol
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:40 pm 
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

I understand where you are coming from but dont agree with it 100%.

This is why, I love to wheel & deal, sometimes I will "BUY" sight unseen, if it is something I really like so yes I will ask "Whats your bottom dollar CASH in hand amount," if its a good number sold. granted it is what you have sent me pictures of, and all the information supplied matchs the product. So, that might make me a idiot but its how I am. But the thing is, I ask that you say 90 so you lose 10 bucks instead of 20.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:07 am 

If you go to a car lot to buy a car,do you pay sticker price without negotiation to get the right price.....YES....
When you buy a house do you do the same....YES....
So if you tell me you pay full sticker on everything you buy, I cant believe it...
Everyone negotiates, its human nature...People want a deal...BOTTOM LINE :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:58 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

Sure, everyone wants a good deal. Not saying that they don't.
What I am saying is that if you ask me the "bottom dollar" price tag, it will not be the ACTUAL bottom dollar that a seller is willing to take for an item. It will be lower, but not much. Now any informed buyer will know how much (in their mind) something SHOULD be worth to them and their wallet. It will always be lower than the asking price. The informed buyer should be able to establish a fair price in their head, drop the price lower than that, and begin a proper negotiation. Buyer bids low, seller bids closer to the asking price, and if both parties are willing, usually meet somewhere in the middle.
When someone "expects" a seller to just throw it all on the table like the electricity is about to get cut off from their house if they don't make a deal right on the spot, then that buyer is a fool just for expecting it. An informed buyer will know how much they are willing to spend, so they SHOULD be able to make an offer. By simply making the offer, it will encourage a better price depending on the sellers need. The buyer "in need" already has a "low price" that they have to meet, so if the need is there, and the offer is good, then that's when you get that "deal" you mentioned.
If you simply ask "What's your bottom dollar?" Then when the seller comes out with a price close to asking, then that's when the buyer thinks it's too much, and noone makes the deal.
Get it?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:25 pm 

I sure do agree with you. The really sad thing is that when you tell them a price, they either say "ok" or "Lemme see if I can get the money". In addition, I refuse to talk to anyone under 21, period.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:57 pm 
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

I have never been on a website where so many people bitch and complain so much. And, I thought Facebook was bad. :lol:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]