Register | Login

Mautofied Community

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Tough times........
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:59 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

I do not know about everyone else, but it has been a really tough market lately. I mean the last 6-8 months have really gone down hill for the used car market.
I'm having a heck of a time selling ANYTHING at all.
Is anyone else feeling this? I know trades are still steady, but cash sales are getting rare it seems unless you are selling something at scrap value.

Post subject: Re: Tough times........
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:18 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

Its been that way for me this year also. Even trades are getting a little ridiculous. I have been offered stuff like Toasters, Baby Ducks, and even Night Stands..... Its getting bad out there!

Last edited by Summit on Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:11 pm 

100 percent agree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:24 pm 
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Times are tough, but I think it may be just this site as far as cash sales are concerned, I have sold 3 fairly expensive 30-40K vehicles this year cash sales in other locations.

I love this site and have been on here almost longer than anyone, This site used to be awesome, but I can tell you there are entirely way too many 'time wasters' and 'kids' on here these days.

For example I could but won't name 4 different sellers on here that have vehicles I'm was interested in that are in excess of 20K and have made cash offers on all of them.

2 of them I've make plans for me to drive there and check them out and purchase if I like only to be cancelled on at the last minute by one and the other just quit answering my emails and messages the day before I was supposed to show up. One of them actually forgot I was the one he was talking too and he contacted me later about buying it after he stood me up. When I reminded him of who I was and then offered to drive over and test drive it...guess what??? he quit answering messages again. Both vehicles are still listed and both sellers continue to log on multiple times a day.

The third one we agreed on a price, I made arrangements again to travel and then as the time to leave approached the seller said oh...his daddy won't let him sell it. WTH his daddy??? Come to find out he was 16 and listed the truck that his daddy bought him to drive.

WOW listing something that doesn't legally belong to him and we won't even go into the fact that he can't legally sell a vehicle since he's not 18 and can't enter a binding contract. His truck is still listed here and he still logs in daily.

The fourth I'm still trying to buy just waiting on the seller to get his ducks in a row, hopefully that one will actually work.

SO there's a little perspective from someone actually trying to buy on here that has cash.....If I were a newer member with cash just looking to buy I would have said screw it a long time ago and believe this site was just full of scams and kids. Since I have been around I know that there are some sellers and buyers on here that are legit but its getting to the point where its not worth the effort looking for them.

Maybe the BS'ers and kids are running off anyone who would actually have the means to purchase in this market....something to think about.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:55 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

There's to many people on here just to "Show off" their vehicles.

P.B.K

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:12 pm 
Mautofied Veteran
Mautofied Veteran

I'll have to agree, even the "stock" used car market is hit and miss. Have seen stuff @ auctions go way cheaper than last year. Gotta love this economy !!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As far as the Scams go, anyone who has been around for a long time can agree that after I took over the Scam Patrol, they have been greatly reduced if not completely wiped out. I take a lot of pride in sweeping this site clean of such garbage.

Patrick@Mautofied.com
Site Administrator
Mautofied Inc.
(714) 982-2051

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:21 pm 
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Very true Patrick, you are for sure on top of the scams and this site does a great job of that.

I was just referencing the fact that if I were a brand new user to this site with cash to buy me a new vehicle and had all listings I mentioned, who for what ever reason won't come through when you agree on a cash price with the seller and have an appointment to see the vehicle disappear, I would find it fishy and think it was a scam.

After all in this economy if someone actually comes through with a cash purchase of a modified vehicle IMHO you should jump on it if its cash you are after and in your acceptable price window, not run and hide. Cash buyers are few and far between for modified vehicles these days.

Having been here for a while I chalk it up to kids and time wasters who have nothing better in life to do than list things they have no intention of selling, or who knows may not even own.

In all of the cases I mention except for one (the truck I'm still trying to purchase) the users were all either brand new or been on here for a few months. Not sure if that sheds any light on the situation at all as we were all new users at one point but it makes me not want to deal with anyone new that hasn't been on here for a while.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think you are correct. Some people like the idea of selling their ride so they list it. When someone actually shows interest, it suddenly becomes real that there is the possibility that they might not ever see their ride again and they balk and disappear. People shouldn't list a vehicle for sale unless they are truly ready to move on. It's not like a relationship where after you break up, you can still hit it every once in a while. The new owner of your vehicle will not be amused if you call them up and ask them to take the car for a spin...

Patrick@Mautofied.com
Site Administrator
Mautofied Inc.
(714) 982-2051

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:25 am 

I don't see that the market is neccessarily down, which no its not as strong as before. This site has set a trend on prices for other people, im my opinion is a bad one. 90% of the vehicles I browse through are WAYYYY over priced. I have seen on numerous occasions a 2003-2005 basic 4 door chevrolet trucks with 200,000 miles list for just under $20,000. This only leads other members to do the same thing. We all know that truck is worth under $7-8000 on a good day.

People really need to put their vehicles at a decent price and you would see more movement of cars on here. I would buy 3-4 vehicles a month from this site alone if they were not sky high on prices. It takes all I have not to message the guys with those prices and ask them why do they think their vehicle is worth 150% over its actual value. Just my 2cents

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next